Looking for Braces in Leicester? Thurmaston Dental can help! We provide solutions for everyone. Here we list the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of Dental Braces.
A metal brace is probably the most common form of brace for children and teenagers, they are the cheaper option and can be offered to patients if their teeth need moving (within certain margins) whether they are overlapping or gapping. It is the go-to option for most kids as they can choose a colour band and can’t take the brace out if it does get painful the brace can’t come out and delay the process.
It is always a good option for everyone to get braces as soon as possible. When teeth are crooked and overlapping it is harder to clean the entire tooth which can cause a build-up of plaque and cause problems later on in life. It is also less painful to get braces at a younger age when adults get braces their teeth have been in the same position for longer and teeth become ‘comfortable’ where they are making it a little bit more painful when braces are put in. The pain of braces depends on how crooked and damaged the teeth are, how tight the brace is and how good people’s pain threshold is.
Advantages of Metal Braces
• Lest expensive type of brace
• Most effective type of brace
• Allows children and teens to choose coloured bands
Disadvantages of Metal Braces
• Most noticeable
• Limit you from eating hard and sticky foods
lthough the process is the same as a Metal Brace, they are less noticeable. With Ceramic Braces a silver archwire is normally used and that wire is held in place with clear brackets. In some cases, even the wire is ‘frosted’ or ‘white’ to make it even less visible.
Ceramic Braces take on average 12-24 months depending on each patient. At the end of this duration, you will get a removable retainer to keep your newly straightened teeth in place once the brace comes off. The process of getting braces isn’t uncomfortable however they may need tightening every once and a while and that may feel slightly sensitive and will feel some discomfort.
Advantages of Ceramic Braces
• Less noticeable than full Metal Braces
• One of the most effective types of brace with the same method as Metal Braces
Disadvantages of Ceramic Braces
• Can be more costly than Metal Braces
• You may stain them easily as the clearness shows staining easily
Lingual Braces are similar to the Metal Braces accept they are on the inside of your teeth instead of outside. This type of brace is extremely discreet, we can’t say they are invisible but they are barely noticeable. Due to the face, they are behind your teeth, no metal brackets are on show.
There isn’t a lot of room behind your teeth which is why metal braces are usually in front of your teeth. You will notice a big change when it is fitted as there will be an initial soreness on your tongue. The way you speak may be affected and you may find that you have a slight lisp; this should go when you have your brace removed or when you adapt to your brace.
Not everyone can get a Lingual Brace as it depends heavily on your bite; however, it is popular for musicians that play wind instruments.
Advantages of Lingual Braces
• Completely invisible from the outside.
• Very effective.
Disadvantages of Lingual Braces
• Hard to clean thoroughly.
• These are more costly than other types of brace.
• Can be more uncomfortable and takes a while for your tongue to adjust to it.
• For severe cases, these braces will be less effective.
• Simple routine adjustments take longer to do.
Invisalign Braces have become more popular over the years with them becoming widely available. One of the main benefits of having an Invisalign is that there is no awkward metal getting in your way.
The other benefits include that it’s removable; it is also clear so no metal on the appearance as well as no metal to rub inside your mouth. However, due to the fact that these are removable, you have the responsibility to wear them, if you don’t wear them as often as you should then treatment could take twice as long.
Advantages of Invisalign
• Nearly invisible
• It is removable so it allows you to eat and drink anything comfortable at any time
Disadvantages of Invisalign
• It will be less effective for severe cases
• Certain Invisalign treatments can take longer to complete (However, new technology is changing this!)
• Because they are removable you are more likely to take them out if they start to hurt
There is no question that different people will need different braces. Teeth might need a minor change or major work and depending on your situation your dentist will provide the best solution for you. If you would like more information on braces please contact us today. Also, check out our latest blog post on What is good oral hygiene?.Leave a reply →