We’ve all done it, standing at the sink brushing our teeth, when…oops…we’ve swallowed some toothpaste. Admittedly this is a rare occurrence in adults and we should focus more on children who may like the minty fresh taste of toothpaste, treating it like sweets!
Children in particular may swallow toothpaste either because they like the taste or they forget to spit it out. Either way, we wanted to highlight a few reasons on why toothpaste can be dangerous if swallowed.
Let’s jump straight into the ingredients, and the main ones that are found in toothpaste that are a cause for concern:
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
This particular ingredient was actually created to clean clothes! You will find that it forms the ingredients for detergents and shampoos, and creates that bubbly foam you see.
Synthetic colours are derived from coal tar and most have been banned now. Yellow #5 is under review due to links to hyperactivity, anxiety, migraines and even cancer.
This is an active ingredient in antifreeze and is used to soften toothpaste and it has been linked to damage to the central nervous system, liver and heart. So, don’t get eating toothpaste!
To Fluoride or not to Fluoride?
Fluoride is in toothpaste, it’s even in our water, and too much of it can cause a condition known as fluorosis that discolours or spots tooth enamel, it can even lead to the calcification of the ligaments. It is actually classed as an over-the-counter drug and anything that is sold containing fluoride has to come with a warning label.Leave a reply →