Thurmaston - Logo
google rating thumb1
  • 577 Melton Road
  • Leicester
  • LE4 8EA
linker icon1 linker icon2

Dental Myths

inner banner
child eating ice cream

Dental Myths

When it comes to dental health, there are many myths and misconceptions that have been passed down through generations. These myths can lead to incorrect dental practices and even cause harm to our teeth and gums. In this blog post, we will explore some of the most common dental myths to debunk them.

Brushing harder will clean teeth better

Brushing harder may seem like it would clean teeth better, but in reality, it can cause harm to your teeth and gums. Overbrushing can wear down tooth enamel and cause gum recession. It’s important to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and brush gently in circular motions for at least two minutes, twice a day.

You should rinse your mouth after brushing

Many people believe that rinsing their mouth after brushing will remove any remaining toothpaste and leave their mouth feeling cleaner. However, dentists recommend that you spit out the toothpaste but not rinse your mouth with water. This is because fluoride, the active ingredient in toothpaste, needs time to work on the teeth to strengthen them. 

Sugar is the only food that causes cavities

kid eating cake
Children are infamous for eating sugary foods

While sugar is a major contributor to cavities, it’s not the only food that can cause them. Starchy foods like bread, crackers, and chips can also contribute to tooth decay. These foods break down into simple sugars in the mouth, which can feed the bacteria that cause cavities. It’s important to brush and floss after eating any type of carbohydrate-rich food.

You don’t need to floss if you brush twice a day

Flossing is just as important as brushing when it comes to maintaining good oral hygiene. Brushing only cleans about 60% of the surfaces of your teeth, leaving the remaining 40% untouched. Flossing helps to remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gumline, where toothbrush bristles can’t reach.

Teeth whitening is bad for your teeth

white teeth smile
Professional whitening is safe

Teeth whitening, when done correctly, is not bad for your teeth. It’s important to use a whitening product that has been approved by your dentist and follow the instructions carefully. Overuse or misuse of whitening products can cause tooth sensitivity and damage to the enamel.

White teeth mean healthy

White teeth don’t mean healthy. Teeth lose their white colouration not only through staining but also through damage. Therefore it’s important to find out what is the underlying cause of discolouration by visiting your dentist. If you’re suffering from tea or coffee stains, it’s easy to reduce their appearance.

Baby teeth aren’t important

Baby teeth are important

Baby teeth, also known as primary teeth, are just as important as permanent teeth. They help children chew, speak, and maintain space for the permanent teeth that will come in later. If baby teeth are lost too early due to decay or injury, it can cause problems with the development of permanent teeth.

You only need to see the dentist when you have a problem

Regular dental checkups are important for maintaining good oral health. Your dentist can detect and treat dental problems early before they become more serious and costly to treat. Additionally, dental cleanings can help remove plaque and tartar buildup, which can prevent gum disease and tooth decay.

Charcoal toothpaste is a better choice

Charcoal toothpaste whitens your teeth but doesn’t protect them. Moreover, if used daily, it can wear through tooth enamel and harm your teeth’s health. If you like to use charcoal toothpaste make sure you don’t do it too often, so you don’t remove the surface layer of your enamel or even root surface.

Enamel loss is the only cause of sensitivity

Many reasons cause tooth sensitivity, such as enamel loss, tooth grinding, abrasive toothpaste and more.

In conclusion, there are many dental myths that are not only untrue but can also cause harm to our teeth and gums. By following proper dental practices and seeking advice from dental experts, we can maintain good oral health and avoid dental problems in the future.

Back to Blog
gester thumb1

Free invisalign consultation

gester thumb1

0% Interest available

Thurmaston - Logo